Monday, 23 November 2009

Wonderful Windows 7

As I’ve been using it since the RTM became available on MSDN in August, it’s high time I put some praise Windows 7’s way.  Apart from all the snazzy UI features, much more efficient use of hardware (than either Vista or XP), and the oh-so-easy ad-hoc networking - the feature that I’m currently in love with is Windows XP mode.

Some time ago I bought a copy of Paint Shop Pro X2 for my copy of Vista.  It would run first time and then crash without fail thereafter.  Something to do with ntdll apparently – although given that (apart from PSP) I never had a single application compatibility problem under Vista, I suspect it’s more to do with Corel than Microsoft.  As I did buy X2 because it was compatible with Vista I found this very annoying to say the least.  Anyway, I decided to try it under Windows XP mode and it works a treat.

What I like about Windows XP mode is that it’s a classic case of using existing technologies in a different way to solve an otherwise difficult problem.  The integration is flexible and (almost) seamless.  Not only that, but it’s a great way to sandbox applications of less than stellar quality.

Microsoft get a lot of criticism (oddly enough from people who still choose to use their products despite the prevalence of alternatives) simply because they’re Microsoft.  I think they deserve some kudos for Windows 7 because it really is a pleasure to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment